Uses and Disclosures for Treatment: We may make uses and disclosures of your personal health information as necessary for your treatment. Doctors and nurses and other professionals involved in your care will use information in your medical record and information that you provide about your symptoms and reactions to your course of treatment that may include procedures, medications, tests, medical history etc.
Uses and Disclosures for Payment: We may make uses and disclosures of your personal health information as necessary for payment purposes. During the normal course of business operations, we may forward information regarding your medical procedures and treatment to your insurance company to arrange payment for the services provided to you. We may use your information to prepare a bill to send to you or to the person responsible for your payment.
Uses and Disclosures for Health Care Operations: We may use and disclose your personal health information as necessary, and as permitted by law, for our health care operations, which may include clinical improvement, professional peer review, business management, accreditation and licensing, etc. For instance, we may use and disclose your personal health information for purposes of improving the clinical treatment and patient care.
Business Associates: Certain aspects and components of our services are performed through contracts with outside persons or organizations, such as auditing, accreditation, outcomes data collection, legal services, etc. At times it may be necessary for us to provide your personal health information to one or more of these outside persons or organizations who assist us with our health care operations. In all cases, we require these business associates to appropriately safeguard the privacy of your information.
Appointments and Services: We may contact you to provide appointment reminders or information about your treatment or other health-related benefits and services that may be of interest to you. You have the right to request, and we will accommodate reasonable requests by you, to receive communications regarding your personal health information from us by alternative means or at alternative locations. For instance, if you wish appointment reminders to not be left on voice mail or sent to a particular address, we will accommodate reasonable requests. You also have the right to request that we not send you any future marketing materials and we will use our best efforts to honor such request. You may make your requests by sending your name and address to Privacy Officer, P.O. Box 2034, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.
Research: In limited circumstances, we may use and disclose your personal health information for research purposes. In all cases where your specific authorization is not obtained, your privacy will be protected by strict confidentiality requirements applied by an Institutional Review Board which oversees the research or by representations of the researchers that limit their use and disclosure of patient information.
Other Uses and Disclosures: We are permitted and/or required by law to make certain other uses and disclosures of your personal health information without your consent or authorization for the following:
- any purpose required by law;
- public health activities, such as required reporting of disease, injury, birth and death, or required public health investigations;
- if we suspect child abuse or neglect;
- if we believe you to be a victim of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence;
- to the Food and Drug Administration to report adverse events, product defects, or to participate in product recalls;
- to your employer when we have provided health care to you at the request of your employer;
- to a government oversight agency conducting audits, investigations, or civil or criminal proceedings;
- in response to a court or administrative ordered subpoena or discovery request;
- to law enforcement officials as required by law to report wounds and injuries and crimes;
- to coroners and/or funeral directors consistent with law;
- if necessary to arrange an organ or tissue donation from you or a transplant for you;
- if you are a member of the military we may also release your personal health information for national security or intelligence activities; and
- to workers' compensation agencies for workers' compensation benefit determination.